|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Vegetable Jalfrezi Recipe
Stir-fried cauliflower string-beans carrots tomatoes, Bell-peppers, onions and curry spices
Jalfrezi is stir-fry with curry spices. I like my Jalfrezi more like a stir-fry, and less like a thick tomato based curry sauce. Many restaurants use Tomato puree or Tomato paste, I use Besan Aalan. In Punjab, Besan Aalan and Makki Aalan are used to make Saag. Aalan is a slurry made of water, and either Besan or corn flour.
1. Canola oil: 3 Tablespoons
2. Red Onions: 1
(Chopped large ½" to ¾" squares)
3. Salt: ¼ teaspoon
4. Serrano: 2
Split vertically in half. Remove seeds and white membrane to reduce heat
5. Minced Garlic: 1 Tablespoon
6. Ginger Finely chopped: 2 Tablespoons
7. Cauliflower: 1½ cup
Florets split and blanched for 15 minutes
8. String beans: 1 Cup
Blanched for 15 minutes
9. Carrots: ½ cup
Cut into fingers about 2" long, ¼" wide and ¼" thick. Blanched for 15cminutes
8. Plum Tomatoes: 2
(Chopped large ½" to ¾" squares, Remove seeds and water)
9. Bell Peppers: 1
Cored, White membrane removed, Chopped large ½" to ¾" squares
10. Chopped Fresh Cilantro: ¼ cup
Dry Jalfrezi Spice Mix (1 Tablespoon)
1. Turmeric powder: ¼ teaspoon
2. Hot Cayenne powder: ½ teaspoon
3. Ground Cumin: ½ teaspoon
4. Ground Coriander: ¾ teaspoon
5. Amchoor (Dry mango powder: ¼ teaspoon
You can substitute Amchoor with Citric acid for a sharper taste
6. Cinnamon powder: ¼ teaspoon
7. Ground Cloves: ¼ teaspoon
8. Ground black pepper: ¼ teaspoon
1. Besan (Chickpea flour): 1 Tablespoon
2. Water: ¼ cup
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottom. Add onions, and salt. Sauté about 3 minutes on medium heat.
2. Add Serrano, Garlic, and Ginger. Sauté about 2 minutes on medium heat.
3. Add Cauliflower, String beans and Carrots. Sauté about five minutes.
4. Add dry spice mix. Sauté another two minutes. Don't let the spices burn. You may add one Tablespoon of water to prevent scorching.
5. Add Tomatoes and Bell peppers. Sauté another five minutes
6. Mix water and Besan to make Aalan. Add Aalan.
7. Cover, let it cook about 8 minutes till chicken is done. Add more water if needed.
8. Stir in the Cilantro
|Google Group | Disclaimer | What do you think!|