|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Shalgam (Turnips) Curry Recipe
Turnip is cubed and cooked with onions tomatoes garlic ginger Serrano and curry spices to make damp curry
1. Turnips: 1½ pounds
2. Onions: 2
3. Tomatoes: 2
4. Fresh Garlic Cloves: 2
5. Fresh ginger: ½"
6. Serrano :2
7. Canola oil: 2 Tablespoons
8. Salt: ¼ teaspoon or to taste
9. Cumin powder: 1 teaspoon
10. Coriander powder: 1 teaspoon
11. Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon
12. Water: ½ Cup
Simmer / Rest
13. Sugar: 1 teaspoon
14. Cilantro: ¼ Cup
Step 1: Prepare vegetables
Turnips: Peel, Cut about ½" cubes. Wash.
Onions: Peel, chop diced ¼"
Ginger: Peel, chop about 1/16" thick
Serrano: Wash, cut in half vertically. May remove seeds to reduce heat.
Cilantro: Wash rinse and chop.
Step 2: Sauté / Cook
1. In a heavy pan heat Canola oil. Add onions, and salt. Sauté till onions are clear. Add garlic, ginger and Serrano, stir well.
2. Add Turnips, tomatoes, and items 9 through 11. Stir and sauté. Don't let it burn. Add little water, if it starts to burn. Every thing should be nicely coated. Add remaining water. Cover. Cook on low heat till turnips are done, stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed; you want dish to be damp wet but not runny.
Step 3: Simmer / Rest
Add, sugar and Cilantro. Simmer covered about 2 minutes and turn the heat off.
|Google Group | Disclaimer | What do you think!|