|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Paneer Jalfrezi Recipe
Jalfrezi is stir-fry with curry spices. I like my Jalfrezi more like a stir-fry, and less like a thick tomato based curry sauce
Many restaurants use Tomato puree or Tomato paste, I use Besan Aalan. In Punjab, Besan Aalan and Makki Aalan are used to make Saag. Aalan is a slurry made of water and Besan or corn flour.
1. Canola oil: 3 Tablespoons
2. Red Onions: 1
(Chopped large ½" to ¾" squares)
3. Salt: ¼ teaspoon
4. Serrano: 2
Split vertically in half. Remove seeds and white membrane to reduce heat
5. Minced Garlic: 1 Tablespoon
6. Ginger Finely chopped: 2 Tablespoons
7. Paneer: 1½ Pounds
Cut into fingers about 2" long, ¼" wide and ¼" thick.
8. Plum Tomatoes: 2
(Chopped large ½" to ¾" squares, Remove seeds and water)
9. Bell Peppers: 1
Cored, White membrane removed, Chopped large ½" to ¾" squares
10. Chopped Fresh Cilantro: ¼ cup
Dry Jalfrezi Spice Mix (1 Tablespoon)
1. Turmeric powder: ¼ teaspoon
2. Hot Cayenne powder: ½ teaspoon
3. Ground Cumin: ½ teaspoon
4. Ground Coriander: ¾ teaspoon
5. Amchoor (Dry mango powder: ¼ teaspoon
You can substitute Amchoor with Citric acid for a sharper taste
6. Cinnamon powder: ¼ teaspoon
7. Ground Cloves: ¼ teaspoon
8. Ground black pepper: ¼ teaspoon
1. Besan (Chickpea flour): 1 Tablespoon
2. Water: ¼ cup
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottom. Add onions, and salt. Sauté about 3 minutes on medium heat.
2. Add Serrano, Garlic, and Ginger. Sauté about 2 minutes on medium heat.
3. Add Paneer. Sauté till Paneer starts to turn brown.
4. Add dry spice mix. Sauté another two minutes. Don't let the spices burn. You may add one Tablespoon of water to prevent scorching.
5. Add Tomatoes and Bell peppers. Sauté another five minutes
6. Mix water and Besan to make Aalan. Add Aalan.
7. Cover, let it cook about 8 minutes till chicken is done. Add more water if needed.
8. Stir in the Cilantro
|Google Group | Disclaimer | What do you think!|