Aloo Paalak (Potatoes Spinach) Curry Recipe
This dish is popular in North India made with fresh Spinach and Potatoes. I am using frozen spinach for convenience
1. Potatoes: 2 Pounds
2. Frozen Spinach (10oz): 1
3. Fresh Ginger: 1½ Inch
4. Ghee: ½ Cup
5. Curry Powder Standard Onset Punjabi: 2 Tablespoon
(Substitution: Cumin powder: 2½ teaspoon, Coriander powder: 2 teaspoon, Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon, Fenugreek powder: ½ teaspoon, Dried Ginger powder: ½ teaspoon)
6. Salt: 1 teaspoon
7. Dry Red crushed peppers: 1 teaspoon
8. Water: ¾ Cup
Simmer / Rest
1. Amchoor (Mango Powder): ¼ teaspoon
2. Garam Masala Standard Frying Punjabi: ½ Tablespoon
(Substitution: Cinnamon powder: ½ teaspoon, Ground Cloves: ½ teaspoon, Ground Black pepper: ¼ teaspoon, Ground Cardamom: ¼ teaspoon)
Step 1: Prepare vegetables
Potatoes: Peel, Dice into ½" to ¾" cubes. Wash.
Spinach: Thaw and drain
Ginger: Peel, chop about 1/16" thick
Step 2: Sauté / Cook
1. In a heavy pan heat Ghee. Add Potatoes, continue sauté till potatoes start to sweat or start to turn brown. Add Ginger stir well
2. Add curry powder, salt and cayenne. Stir and sauté. Don't let it burn. Add little water, if it starts to burn. Every thing should be nicely coated. Add remaining water. Cover. Cook on low heat till potatoes are done, stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed; you want dish to be damp wet but not runny. About 15 minutes.
3. Add, drained Spinach. Cook about 5 to 10 minutes.
Step 3: Simmer / Rest
4. Add Amchoor and Garam Masala. Stir. Simmer covered about 3 minutes and turn the heat off. The heat will release the flavors from the Garam Masala. Let it rest ten minutes. Its ready to serve.
This is one of my favorite recipes, that I make at home in emergency. This is my quick and easy recipe at home. In reality, I will use one of the the following type of potatoes:
1. Boiled potatoes
2. Red potatoes
3. Frozen French fries thawed.
The choice of potatoes reduces the prep time for potatoes, and cooking time in step 2.