|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Indian Curry Paste Recipe
Curry Paste is a combination of curry powder spices, garlic, and ginger preserved in vinegar. Keep it stored in refrigerator
Following should be noted
1. You may want to change proportions, or add other spices such as cinnamon cloves and cardamoms
2. Normally, curry powders do not have cayenne pepper, Degi Mirch, or salt. I have added cayenne pepper and Degi Mirch for optimum color and flavor. I have added little bit of salt to help blend flavors and act as preservative. In actual application, you may still need to add salt.
3. I have used 3 Tablespoons of Vinegar to add acid to act as preservative. You can substitute all or part of vinegar with equal amount of fresh lime juice
Dry Powdered Spices
1. Cumin powder: 3 Tablespoon
2. Coriander powder: 3 Tablespoon
3. Turmeric powder: 2 teaspoons
4. Fenugreek powder: 2 teaspoons
5. Dried Ginger powder: 2 teaspoons
6. Hot Cayenne Pepper powder: 2 teaspoons
7. Degi Mirch (paprika): 2 teaspoons
8. Salt: ½ teaspoon
1. Garlic Cloves, Peeled and crushed: 16
2. Fresh Ginger, Peeled grated: 6"x1"
White vinegar: 3 Tablespoons
1. Mix dry ground spices together
2. Add crushed Garlic Cloves. Mix well.
3. Add grated Ginger. Mix well
4. Add White vinegar. Mix well.
5. Transfer contents to a air-tight sterilized jar. Store in refrigerator. It should last 3 months
Typical Application - Chicken Curry
1. Vegetable oil: ¼ cup
2. Large onion, finely chopped: 1
3. Green Cardamom pod, cracked open: 2
3. Curry Paste: 1½ Tablespoon
6. Cayenne ground: ¼ teaspoon
6. Salt: 1/8 teaspoon
5. Tomato Paste: 1 teaspoon
6. Hot water: ½ cup
7. Pre-cooked Chicken: 1 Pound
1. Heat oil on high heat in a sauce pan. Add onions. Fry till onions become translucent and not brown. About 5 minutes. Lower the heat.
2. Add Cardamom. Fry about one minute.
3. Add Curry paste, Cayenne, and Salt. Stir well. Fry about three minutes
4. Add Tomato paste and water. Bring to a boil. Turn down heat. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes, the gravy will start to thicken.
5. Add Chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes. You may continue till all the liquid has been absorbed or evaporated.
|Google Group | Disclaimer | What do you think!|