1. Whole skinless Urad: 1 Cup
2. Short Grain Rice Parboiled rice: 3 Cups
3. Fenugreek seeds: 1 teaspoon
4. Kosher Salt: ½ teaspoon
5. Non-chlorinated water (Spring water or distilled water): 5 cups
6. Yogurt: ½ cup
7. Baking Powder (Double Action): 1 teaspoon
Step 1: Wash Urad once may be twice. Place Urad Dal with half of the spring water in one pan un-covered for eight hours.
Step 2: Wash Rice thoroughly. Put Rice in another pan with the remaining water. Stir in sea salt. Sprinkle Fenugreek seeds on the top of the Rice. Do NOT wash Fenugreek Seed. Soak rice for eight hours.
Step 3: Grind Urad Dal fine, grind rice coarse. Mix together. Ferment at an ambient temperature of 86º F to 90º F for eight hours. The batter should double and be ready for cooking.
Step 4: Fold in yogurt and baking powder.
Step 5: Lightly oil the Idli pans. Pour batter. Steam cook for 20 minutes