|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Chikkar Cholay Dried Beans Pressure Cooker Recipe
|Chikkar Cholay originated in Lahore, Chickpeas in a thick spicy sauce. Ground onions, tomatoes and partly smashed beans contribute to thickness.
(Chole, Chholay, Chickpeas, Garbanzo beans)
1. Kabuli Chana (Dried Garbanzo beans): 2 cups
3. Water: 3 Cups
4. Cooking Oil: ½ Cup
5. Cumin Seeds: ¼ teaspoon
6. Whole Fenugreek seeds: ¼ teaspoon
7. Onions Ground: 2 cups
8. Salt: ¾ teaspoon
9. Ground Cayenne pepper: ½ teaspoon
12. Cholay Spice Mix: 3½ Tablespoon
13. Dahi Yogurt: 3 Tablespoons
14. Chopped Tomatoes: ½ Cup
15. Dry sour mango powder: 1 teaspoon
16. Bay leaf: 3
1. Cilantro Chopped
2. Fresh Serrano Chopped
3. Thin wedges of fresh lime
Step 1: Pre-soak
Bring water to a boil. Add Garbanzo beans. Let it cook for 5 minutes and shut off the heat. Let rest for 12 hours or overnight at room temperature. After pre-soak is done, drain and rinse beans.
Step 2: Pre-cook
Put water and presoaked beans in a pressure cooker. The water should top the beans by about 2". Lock in the lid. Turn on heat. After the pressure cooker has reached 15 PSI, turn the heat to medium. Cook for 16 minutes. Turn off the heat. Let the pressure drop naturally
After the pressure has dropped, remove water and 1 cup of beans. Mash the removed beans and return to the pressure cooker. Set the water aside.
Step 3: Prepare Masala
1. Heat cooking oil in a a separate pan.
2. Add Cumin seeds. Fry till seeds just start to turn brown.. one minute
3. Add Fenugreek seeds. Fry about one minute starts to get brown
4. Add onions, salt and cayenne. Fry till water is gone and onions are turning brown. about 5 minutes
5. Add Garlic and ginger. Cook two minutes.
6. Add Cholay Spice mix. Fry about 1 minutes
7. Add Dahi one tablespoon at a time till almost all the moisture is gone.
Step 4: Merge
1. Add Masala, Tomatoes, Amchoor and Bay leaf to the beans in the pressure cooker.
2. Add the water from the pre-cooking just enough so that everything is just submerged. Lock in cover. Turn on heat till the pressure is 15PSI. After 5 minutes, turn off the heat. Let the pressure drop naturally.
3. Garnish the dish.
|Google Group | Disclaimer | What do you think!|