|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Lobhiya (Black-eyed Cowpeas Crowder-peas) Recipe Rongi
Black-eyed beans are called Lobhiya (Lobiya) in Hindi, and Rongi in Punjabi. Rongi is a popular dish in Punjab
We will pre-soak the dried-beans but not use pressure cooker. The spices are same as for Rajmah
Pre-soak and pre-cook
1. Lobhiya (Dried black-eyed cowpeas) 2 cups
Water: 4 cups
1. Cooking Oil: ¼ Cup
Use Yellow onions and chop them about ½ to ¾" Dice
3. Salt: ¾ teaspoon
4. Cayenne pepper ground: ½ teaspoon or to taste
6. Fresh Ginger chopped: 1 Inch
7. Rajmah Spice Mix: 3 Tablespoons
- Cumin powder: 3 teaspoon
- Coriander powder: 2 teaspoon
- Fenugreek powder: ½ teaspoon
- Dried Ginger powder: ½ teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder: ¾ teaspoon
- Ground Cloves: ¾ teaspoon
- Ground Black pepper: ¾ teaspoon
- Ground Cardamom: ¾ teaspoon
8. Tomatoes Chopped: 3 Cups
9. Amchoor (Dried Mango powder): ½ teaspoon
1. Cilantro Chopped
2. Fresh Serrano Chopped
Bring water to a boil. Add Lobhiya. Let it cook for 5 minutes and shut off the heat. Let rest for 4 hours or overnight at room temperature. After pre-soak is done, drain and rinse beans.
Add pre-soaked beans, and water. Let it come to a boil. Do not cover. Cook till beans are soft. It will take about 20 minutes after the water had come to a boil
1. Heat cooking oil in a a separate pan.
2. Add onions, salt and cayenne. Fry till water is gone and onions are turning brown. about 5 minutes
3. Add Garlic and ginger. Cook two minutes.
4. Add Rajmah Spice mix. Fry about 1 minute
5. Transfer to Lobhiya pot
6. Add Tomatoes, Amchoor and Bay leaf to the beans.
7. Bring it to a boil.
8. Turn down heat. Simmer for 15 minutes
9. Garnish the dish.
|Google Group | Disclaimer | What do you think!|