Dal Bukhara (Baked Black Beans) Recipe
The whole skin-on black beans (Sabut Urad) are cooked on low fire
for hours and finished with cream and butter
Traditionally, cultured butter (Makhan) and Malai (Clotted cream) are used. We will replace Malai with
Heavy whipping cream, and Makhan with sour cream unsalted butter.
1. Whole Black Matpe with skin-on (Sabut Urad): 2 Cups
2. Water for cooking: 9 cups
3. Roma tomatoes, chopped: 2 cups
4. Garlic cloves, peeled: 10
5. Ginger root, peeled diced: 3"x1"
6. Cayenne pepper, ground: 1 teaspoon
7. Sea-salt: ¼ teaspoon, or more to your taste
8. Butter, un-salted: ½ cup
9. Sour cream: ¼ cup
10. Heavy whipping cream: ¼ cup
1. Wash and rinse black beans. Presoak in water for 3 hours to overnight.
2. Rinse and drain beans. Add black beans and 'water for cooking' to a stock pot. Bring it to a boil. Turn down heat and cook covered till beans
split open and become tender. It will take about 2 hours.
3. Add tomatoes garlic and ginger to a food processor. Process at continuous speed for one minute to form a
paste. Add cooked beans. Process again for one minute to form a paste.
4. Transfer contents from food processor to the stock pot. Stir-in cayenne pepper, salt. Add butter. Cook
covered on low heat for about 45 minutes. You should have thick smooth soup.
5. Remove the pot from heat. Stir in sour-cream and heavy whipping cream.
6. Return the pot to very low heat. Simmer covered for 20 minutes.