Cholay Canned Beans Slow cooker (Crockpot) Recipe
You need pre-cooked or canned Chickpeas to make Cholay in a slow cooker.
1. Canned Garbanzo beans (15 oz size): 2 cans
Drain, wash and rinse canned beans.
If you want to use dried garbanzo beans, presoak them in water and cook them in water till tender. ¾ Cup of dried garbanzo beans will result in 2 cups of cooked beans, same as two 15 oz cans.
1. Canola oil or other vegetable oil: 3 Tablespoon
2. Finely chopped onions: ½ Cup
3. Salt: ½ teaspoon
4. Ground Cayenne: ½ teaspoon
5. Finely chopped fresh ginger: ½"
Cholay Spice Mix 2½ Tablespoon
6. Bay leaf: 1
7. Amchoor: ½ teaspoon
8. Chickpeas: 2 Cans
9. Diced tomatoes (12 oz): 1 can
10. Water: ¼ Cup
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan
2. Add onions, salt and cayenne pepper. Fry till onions start turning brown .. 5 minutes
3. Add Ginger. Fry 30 seconds
4. Add Spice mix , bay leaf and Amchoor. Fry about 1 minute
5. Open canned chick peas. Drain and rinse. Add to mixture
6. Add diced tomatoes
7. add water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Turn off heat.
8. Transfer the contents to slow cooker.
9. Cover the cooker with the lid. Cook on high for 30 minutes.
10. Turn the cooker to low. Cook 2 to 3 hours.
Turn off the cooker. With lid on, Cholay will remain hot for about 90 minutes.