|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Zamin Doz Machhli (Baked Stuffed Sole) Punjabi Style Recipe
Sole is stuffed with onions garlic ginger and curry spices. Stuffed sole is slowly baked for hours at low temperature
The dish originated in Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh). The fish (Fish is called Machhli in Hindi) is cleaned and stuffed with spices. The stuffed fish is placed in a clay casserole dish. The clay casserole dish was made to fit shape and size of the fish. The lid of the dish is sealed with a paste of flour and water. A hole is dug in ground (Zamin, means ground) and the seals casserole dish is buried about 4 to 6" below the ground level. At the ground level fire was created. The heat will conducts down to the casserole and bake the fish at a low temperature for about 8 hours. We will make two changes.
1. We will double wrap the fish in heavy Aluminum foil, replacing the clay casserole dish.
2. We will use oven to slow bake.
The stuffing has been modified to be modern Punjabi style.
1. Whole Sole: 2 pounds
2. Salt: ½ teaspoon
3. Lime: 1
1. Ghee: 2 Tablespoon
2. Finely Chopped onion: 1½ cups
3. Minced Garlic: 1 Tablespoon
4. Finely chopped Ginger: 1 Tablespoon
5. Dried Spices
1. Turmeric: ¼ teaspoon
2. Cumin powder: ½ teaspoon
3. Ground Coriander: ½ teaspoon
4. Amchoor: 1 teaspoon
5. Cayenne powder: ¾ teaspoon
6. Salt: ¼ teaspoon
7. Ground Cinnamon: ¼ teaspoon
8. Ground Cloves: ¼ teaspoon
9. Ground Cardamom: ½ teaspoon
10. Ground Black pepper: ¼ teaspoon
11. Besan (Chickpea flour): ¾ cup
6. Chopped Tomatoes: 2 Cups
1. Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil Sheet 11"x17": 2
2. Melted Ghee
1. Skin Sole and clean insides. Wash.
2. Cut a slit lengthwise on one side of the Sole.
3. Rub salt outside and inside.
4. Cut lime. Pour lime juice on out side and inside.
5. Let Sole stand at room temperature from 15 to 30 minutes.
1. Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
2. Add onions. Sauté till onions turn lightly brown.
3. Add ginger and garlic. Sauté about two minutes
4. Mix dries spices. Add dry spices mix. Sauté about two minutes
5. Add Chopped tomatoes. Sauté about two minutes. Shut off heat.
1. Place one Aluminum foil shiny side up
2. Baste shiny of aluminum foil lightly with ghee.
3. Stuff the Sole. Place the stuffed sole on the aluminum foil.
4. Fold the edge of the aluminum foil so that the sole is tightly encased in the aluminum foil.
5. Wrap again with another aluminum foil.
6. Put on a baking sheet.
7. Pre heat oven to 350 ºF for 25 minutes.
8. Put the fish in the oven to bake.
9. Turn down oven to 200 ºF. Bake about 5 hours.
|Google Group | Disclaimer | What do you think!|