|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Jhinga (Prawn) Jalfrezi Recipe
Made with large tail-on shelled prawns to stir-fry with curry spices
The tail just gives the dish a character. I like my Jalfrezi more like a stir-fry, and less like a thick tomato based curry sauce. Many restaurants use Tomato puree or Tomato paste, I use Besan Aalan. In Punjab, Besan Aalan and Makki Aalan are used to make Saag. Aalan is a slurry made of water and Besan or corn flour. Serve Prawn Jalfrezi with thin slices of lemon.
1. Prawn: 1½ Pounds
De-veined, shelled, tail-on.
2. Minced Garlic: 1 Tablespoon
3. Ginger Finely chopped: 2 Tablespoons
4. Salt: ¼ teaspoon
5. Canola oil: 3 Tablespoons
6. Red Onions: 1
(Chopped large ½" to ¾" squares)
7. Serrano: 2
Split vertically in half. Remove seeds and white membrane to reduce heat
8. Plum Tomatoes: 2
(Chopped large ½" to ¾" squares, Remove seeds and water)
9. Bell Peppers: 1
Cored, White membrane removed, Chopped large ½" to ¾" squares
10. Chopped Fresh Cilantro: ¼ cup
11. Quartered lemons: 1
Dry Jalfrezi Spice Mix (1 Tablespoon)
1. Turmeric powder: ¼ teaspoon
2. Hot Cayenne powder: ½ teaspoon
3. Ground Cumin: ½ teaspoon
4. Ground Coriander: ¾ teaspoon
5. Amchoor (Dry mango powder: ¼ teaspoon
You can substitute Amchoor with Citric acid for a sharper taste
6. Cinnamon powder: ¼ teaspoon
7. Ground Cloves: ¼ teaspoon
8. Ground black pepper: ¼ teaspoon
1. Besan (Chickpea flour): 1 Tablespoon
2. Water: ¼ cup
1. Mix Prawns, garlic, ginger, and salt. Use fingers to mix well
2. Add Dry Jalfrezi Spice mix to the Prawns. Let the prawns stand for 15 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a heavy bottom. Add onions. Sauté about 3 minutes on medium heat.
4. Add Serrano. Sauté about 2 minutes on medium heat.
3. Add Prawns. Sauté till prawns start to turn white. It will take about 3 minutes.
4. Add Tomatoes and Bell peppers. Sauté another five minutes
5. Mix water and Besan to make Aalan. Add Aalan.
6. Cover, let it cook about 8 minutes till chicken is done. Add more water if needed.
7. Stir in the Cilantro. Serve with lemons
|Google Group | Disclaimer | What do you think!|