|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Kedgeree Raj Recipe
This is re-creation of Kedgeree from historical records, as well as the curry spices used by British during the Raj.
During British Raj, Fresh fish, boiled eggs, and Khichri were served for breakfast. Khichri was made with Rice and split skinless Moong beans. Normally, the fish was freshly caught in freshwater ponds or rivers locally. The Fish was cooked separately, flaked and stirred into the Khichri. As the time passed, the beans disappeared, and it became a dish of rice with locally caught fish.
Here, have tried to re-create the recipe from various historical records, as well as the curry spices used during Raj by the British at the time based on Curry Powder (Kitchiner) Recipe
1. Ghee: 2 Tablespoons
2. Onion finely chopped: 1
3. Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon
4. Cardamoms: 4
5. Cloves: 4
6. Ground black pepper: ¼ teaspoon
7. Basmati rice: 2 Cups
8. Water: 3 Cups
1. Haddock fillet, boned and skinned: 1 pound
2. Milk: 1¼ cups to poach fish
1. Hardboiled eggs: 2, Shelled
2. Chopped Cilantro: 2 Tablespoons
1. Heat Ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
2. Add onions. Sauté till lightly brown. About 3 minutes,
3. Add Turmeric, Cardamoms, Cloves, and Black peppercorn. Sauté about 2 minutes
3. Add Rice. Stir. Sauté about 1 minutes.
4. Add Water. Bring to a boil. Cook covered about 15 minutes.
5. Remove Cardamoms and Cloves
6. Turn off heat. Keep covered.
1. In a separate pan, add milk and fish. Bring it to a boil. Cook fish about five minutes till its done
2. Remove fish. Flake it make sure there is no bones.
3. Remove lid off the rice and stir in flaked fish. Cover the rice dish back
1. Chop one hard boiled egg and stir in the rice with fish.
2. Slice the second boiled egg and stir in the rice.
3. Cover the dish. Turn on heat low for 3 minutes.
4. Turn off heat.
5. Sprinkle chopped cilantro before serving.
|Google Group | Disclaimer | What do you think!|