|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Saffron Basmati Rice and Peas Pilaf Recipe
Saffron rice with green peas is the most common Rice Pulao (Pilaf) served in North Indian homes
See How to cook Rice to understand the chemistry. We will use total 3 cups of water for a drier texture.
1. Water: 2 ¼ cups
2. Salt: ½ teaspoon
3. Saffron 4 to six strands
1. Basmati Rice: 2 cups
2. Water for pre-soaking rice: 3 cups
3. Ghee: ¼ cup
4. Finely chopped onions: ½ cup
5. Bay leaf: 1
6. Cinnamon stick 3"x¼" broken in half: 1
7. Black Cardamom cracked open: 3
8. Cloves: 5
9. Black peppercorn: 6
10. Sliced blanched almonds: ¼ cup
11. Yellow raisins: 2 Tablespoons
1. Frozen baby peas thawed: 1½ cups
2. Salt: pinch
3. Water to heat up: 2½ cups
Step 1 Saffron water
Crush saffron with thumb and a finger. Combine water, salt, and saffron in a pot. Bring it to a boil. Shut off heat. Set aside
Step 2 Rice
1. Wash and rinse rice to remove dirt and starchy powder. Repeat it three times.
2. Presoak rice in 3 cups plain water for about 30 minutes at room temperature. Set aside
3. Heat Ghee in the Dutch oven. Add onions. Sauté till onions start turning brown, about 5 minutes
4. Add Bay leaf, Cinnamon stick , Black Cardamom, Cloves, Black peppercorn and almond. Sauté about 2 minutes.
5. Drain pre-soaked Rice. Add Rice to Dutch oven. Sauté about 3 minutes. The rice will start turning opaque white.
6. Stir in raisins.
7. Add Saffron water
8. Bring it to a boil.
9. Cover the Dutch oven. Turn down heat. simmer on low to medium heat for 12 minutes.
Step 3 Prepare Peas
While rice is cooking, boil 2½ cups of water with a pinch of salt. Once the water is boiled, add thawed frozen peas. Let it come to a boil again and shut off heat. Drain water using colander.
Stir hot peas in the Rice.
|Google Group | Disclaimer | What do you think!|