|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Safed Maas (White Lamb Curry) Recipe
Boneless lamb cooked in a white curry sauce. 'Safed' means white, while 'Maas' means meat
Sometimes it is also called Safed Ghost. 'Ghost' basically refers to goat meat. This is a popular recipe from Rajasthan.
The biggest secret is washing and rinsing the meat. After the lamb has been blanched, it is cooked with spice. Finally, Khoya, and ground nuts are added making it a very rich creamy white sauce.
Wash Clean Lamb
1. Lamb: 2 Ponds Boneless. Cut into 1" thick slabs or cubes
2. Salt: 2 Tablespoons
3. Water: 6 Cups
4. Whole Milk yogurt Dahi: 1¼ Cup
Lamb Base Cooking
1. Ghee: 1 cup
2. Onions: 3 peeled and ground
3. Ginger: Fine chopped: 2 Tablespoons
4. Cardamom seeds: ½ teaspoon
5. Whole Cloves: 6
7. One Cinnamon stick: 3" longs broken in to pieces
8. White Pepper corn powdered: 1 teaspoon
9. Crushed Red pepper: 2 Table spoon
10. Water: 4 cups
11. Minced Garlic: 2 teaspoons
1. Poppy seeds: 2 Tablespoons
2. Desiccated Coconut: 2 Tablespoons
3. Blanched Almonds: 2 Tablespoons
4. Cashews: 2 Tablespoons
5. Ricotta Cheese: ½ Cup
6. Whole Dried milk: ½ Cup
7. Rose Water: 2 teaspoon
Wash and Clean Lamb
1. Add salt and water. Bring it to a boil. Turn down heat.
2. Add lamb. Cook on low heat for ten minutes. Turn off heat. Drain out salted water. Wash and rinse with new clean water.
2. Pour Yogurt over lamb. Work yogurt in with your fingers.
Lamb Base Cooking
Heat Ghee in a pan.
Add onions. Sauté till clear
Add ginger, minced garlic. Sauté about two minutes
Stir in Cardamoms, cloves, Cinnamon, White pepper corn, Crushed Red pepper seeds. Sauté 2 minutes
Stir in Lamb.
Add ¼ cup of water at a time. Simmer covered on low heat till water is consumed. Repeat with ¼ cup of water at a time. Eventually you have tender lamb in a thick gravy in about 45 minutes.
Put all ingredients except rose water in a food processor. Making it into a smooth white paste. Transfer the paste to lamb. Continue cooking for about 15 minutes on low to medium heat. Turn off heat. Stir in rosewater.
|Google Group | Disclaimer | What do you think!|