|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Paya Bakra (Lamb trotters) Curry Recipe
The trotters are called Paya in Hindi. This is actually a spicy curried soup rich with gelatin from the the marrow of bones.
This is a simple Mughalai version. The process involves basically three phase
1. The trotters are cooked in water with aromatic spices and salt for hours till the totters have become tender and water has turned into aromatic stock. If you need to add water during this process, add only hot water. Adding cold water may prevent trotters from getting tender.
2. Curry feedstock is made by sautéing ground onions garlic ginger spices and tomatoes
3. The boiled trotters are fried with feedstock. The soup stock is added. The slow heat cooking continues till proper consistency has been reached
1. Lamb trotters: 6
2. Dry spice mix
3. Water: 5 Cups
4. Ghee: ½ Cup
5. Onions, coarse chopped: 2 cups
6 Garlic: 8 to 10 Large Cloves Peeled chopped or minced
7. Ginger: 1"x1" Peeled chopped or minced
8. Serrano, White pith removed to reduce heat
9. Chopped Cilantro: 1 Tablespoon
10. Ground Cayenne pepper: 2 teaspoons adjust to your taste
11. Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon
12. Cumin powder: 1 teaspoon
13. Coriander powder: 2 teaspoon
14. Tomatoes, chopped: 1 cup
15. Coconut milk: ½ cup (Optional)
-Start Dry Spice Mix-
1. Fennel Seeds: 2 Tablespoons Cracked
2. Cumin seeds: ½ teaspoon Cracked
3. Black Cumin seeds (Shahi Jeera): ½ teaspoon cracked
4. Nigella (Kalonji): ½ teaspoon cracked
5. Dry ginger powder: ½ teaspoon
6. Black Cardamom seeds: 2 teaspoon cracked
7 Black peppercorn: 1 teaspoon cracked
8 Cinnamon stick 3"x¼" size: 1 broken cracked
9 Cloves: 1 teaspoon cracked
10. Nutmeg: ¼ of a small size grated
11. Mace (Javitri): 3 leaves
12. Degi Mirch: 2 teaspoons
13. Sea Salt: ¾ teaspoon or to taste
-End Dry Spice Mix-
1. Clean and wash trotters in cold water
2. Prepare Dry spice mix. The spices are NOT dry roasted. Spices are NOT ground to a powder. The spices are cracked using a mortar and pestle. You can use a food processor to crack spices in the 'Pulse' mode for 2 or 3 short cycles. You may want to put the spices in a Potli, a muslin cloth to remove later.
3. Add water, dry spice mix and trotters in a stock pot. Bring it to a boil. Let it simmer for 3 to 4 hours on low heat. The trotters must get tender. If needed add hot water and continue cooking.
4. Add onions garlic ginger cayenne cumin coriander turmeric and Cilantro in food processor. Grind to paste
5. Heat Ghee in a heavy sauce pan. Add onion paste. Fry till almost all the moisture is gone. Onions start to turn brown
6. Add Tomatoes. Fry till tomatoes have softened and ghee starts to separate.
7. Remove trotters from the stock pot and add to Masala paste. Fry for about 6 minutes.
8. Add stock from the stock pot. Cook on low temperature for about another hour
9. Stir in coconut milk. Simmer 5 minutes. Shut off heat
|Google Group | Disclaimer | What do you think!|