|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Lamb Vindaloo Recipe
Traditional Lamb Vindaloo is a spicy hot dish from Goa, made with coconut vinegar and lots of hot red chili peppers
Chili pepper was introduced by Portuguese traders during 16th century. With this came the development of Vindaloo dishes in Goa. I believe Vindaloo to be the oldest dish using chili pepper in India.
I have deviated from tradition
1. Substituted Coconut vinegar with Red wine vinegar as original intent
2. Incorporated standard Curry Powder and Garam Masala Powders
3. Normally, you will use a mix bone-in shank and boneless sirloin.
1. Lamb cubed 1" to 1½": 2 Pounds
Select lean sirloin
1. Mustard oil: ¼ cup
Mustard oil is used for its pungency. You may substitute it with Canola oil
This not a mistake. You need one whole garlic bulb containing about 10 cloves
7. Serrano: 2
Remove seeds and white membrane to reduce heat for your taste. Chopped
8. Curry Powder Standard Onset Punjabi: 1½ Tablespoon
Use one to 2 Tablespoons depending on your taste
9. Garam Masala Standard Frying Punjabi: ¾ Tablespoon
Use 2 to 3 teaspoons
10. Hot mustard powder: 1 teaspoon
12. Degi Mirch (Paprika): 2 teaspoons
1. Ghee: ¼ Cup
2. Finely chopped onion (Preferably ground): 2 Cups
3. Water: 6 Tablespoons
4. Brown sugar: ½ teaspoon
1. Combine all the marinate ingredients in a stainless steel or glass bowl.
2. Stab each piece of lamb cube with a sharp pointed knife once or twice. This helps with marinate to penetrate deeper.
3. Add the lamb to marinate
4. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 12 hours. It is important to cover to prevent the other foods from gathering odors from the marinate.
1. Remove Lamb from the marinate. The surface of lamb should have almost no marinate. Save marinate mixture, set aside.
2. Heat Ghee in a heavy bottom pan. Add marinated lamb. Brown lamb on medium to high heat, about 8 minutes. Remove browned pieces and set aside
3. Add Onions. Fry till onions are almost brown. 5 minutes
3. Add saved marinate mixture. Be careful during this step. Keep your eyes away from the pan. Cooking this mixture will irritate your eyes. Turn the heat on low to medium, and walk away to avoid the initial fumes for first 2 minutes. After that stir and fry to make a nice paste.
4. Add lamb and water. Bring to a near boil when the bubbles start to rise to top. You do not want to cook lamb at high temperature to prevent it from getting tough. Turn down heat.
5. Cover. Simmer on low to medium heat till lamb is tender. About 20 minutes
6. Stir in sugar to cut the sourness.
|Google Group | Disclaimer | What do you think!|