Who gets heartburn?
More than half the population at large has experienced heartburn at one time or the other. The LES starts to weaken after the age of 40
1. Some foods cause LES to relax. These foods are called trigger foods .
2. The strain put on stomach to defecate due to constipation.
3. The mid-waist fat in heavy persons can exert pressure on the abdomen.
4. In case of pregnancy, increase in hormone progesterone affects the LES and the growing uterus cramps the stomach.
5. Medical conditions such as Hiatal Hernia, GERD, and taking certain medications can cause heartburn.
6. When we bend down, pressure is exerted on the stomach.
7. If we wear a tight belt, it exerts the pressure on the stomach.
8. After eating, our body posture (slouched position) can exert the pressure.