Palak (Spinach) and Tofu curry Recipe
This dish is based on popular Paalak (Palak) and Paneer. The Paneer (Indian Cheese is replaced with Tofu to
reduce saturated fats.
1. Vegetable oil: 1 Tablespoon
3. Onion chopped: 1/2 cup
4. Fresh ginger finely chopped: 1/2 Inch
5. Minced garlic: 2 cloves
6. Turmeric powder: 1/8 teaspoon
7. Cumin powder: 1/2 teaspoon
8. Salt to taste
9. Cayenne pepper to taste
10. Firm Tofu: 8oz
11. Water: 1/2 cup
12. Spinach: 1 lbs
There are three important factors to remember about Tofu:
1. If frozen, the texture will get more chewy like Paneer. You must freeze it overnight, and then defrost to achieve Paneer like texture.
2. Tofu is like a sponge, full of water. Whether frozen or not, you have get rid of this water, so that it will soak up the new flavors of the dish. Easiest way to do it by cut the tofu into desired size pieces. Put about 4 folded paper towel. Spread out the cut Tofu pieces. Put four fold paper towel on the top. Put a cutting board on top covering the Tofu. Now, place a weight on the cutting board. I use a milk gallon jug half filled. Wait about 30 minutes to an hour. Remove weight, cutting board and paper towel. The Tofu is ready.
Step 1: Heat vegetable oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add chopped onions, sauté onions till clear.
Step 2: Add Garlic and ginger.
Step 3: Add Turmeric powder, Cumin powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Sautee another one minute. Don't let the mixture burn. If too dry add a tablespoon of water.
Step 4: Add tofu cubes and continue sautéing. Sautee for about three minutes.
Step 5: Add water.
Step 6: Make sure spinach is thoroughly washed. Finely chop spinach. Add Spinach to the pot. Turn heat high till water comes to a boil. Cover the pot with a tight lid. Turn down heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
Step 7: The spinach should have wilted down by now and immersed in the juices. Stir and cook on high heat for another five minutes to get a good lose pasty consistency.