|Bhang | Jalfrezi | Kebab | Kulfi | Lassi | Sharbat | Smoothie | Microwave | Pressure Cooker | Slow-Cooker | Tandoori|
Naan Poppy seeds Almonds Healthy Recipe
Naan is the most popular bread served in Indian restaurants.
We will modify the typical Naan recipe .
1. Replace Warm water with warm skim milk.
2. Replace Dahi (Yogurt) and Ghee with a purred mixture of 2% fat Dahi Yogurt (with live culture) 2% fat cottage cheese.
3. We will keep the whole wheat flour (Atta). We will add poppy seeds, and Almonds to enhance omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. We have kept eggs for their nutritional value. If you don't eat eggs, add 4 more table spoons of cottage cheese.
1. Active Dry Yeast (.25 oz) pack: 1
5. 2% fat Dahi Yogurt: ¼ Cup
6. 2% fat cottage cheese: ¼ Cup
9. Atta (1 pound): 3½Cups
11. Sliced Slivered Almond crushed: 1 Cup
Unsalted Trans-fat free soft margarine for basting (Optional)
Four for dusting and rolling
1. Add sugar and yeast to warm milk. Let stand 10 minutes.
2. Puree Cottage cheese in electric blender. Mix Dahi and Egg. Add to yeast mixture.
4. Add yeast mixture. and knead to make dough about 5 minutes.
5. Gather dough into a ball. Cover with a damp cloth or plastic film wrap. Let stand for about an hour till it doubles in size. The dough should not be raised in a hot place, the rapid rise will result in yeasty odor. The dough should not be raised in a cold area as it will take too long to rise. Ideal room temperature for dough to work will be around 80ºF.
7. Divide dough in 8 equal size balls. Each ball will make one Naan. If you wish, you may put these balls in a freezer zip-lock bag and freeze away. To thaw, put them in the refrigerator section over night.
1. Pre heat oven to 450 ºF.
2. Naan is not rolled out with rolling pin. Instead, it is rolled out by hand to a round, oval or triangular shape. The thickness of Naan is about 3 Nickels (5¢ coins).
3. Brush the top of the rolled Naan with melted Margarine.
4. Grease a baking sheet. Put the Naan on the baking sheet. Bake 6 to 8 minutes.
5. Repeat steps 6 through 8 till all the Naan have been baked.
Active dry yeast is sold in United States in ¼ ounce (0.25 oz) packets, one packet equals 1 teaspoon.
|Cooking Orientation | FAQ | Google Group | Disclaimer | What do you think! | Visitor Recipes | Submit Recipes|