Guide to gain weight (How to gain weight?)
Increase your caloric intakes by about 500 to1000 Calories per day. Do it safe without jeopardizing well being. 500 Calories/day will help you gain up to one pound in one week.
- Cook at home, you know what you are eating.
- To gain weight foods must be judged against a five point criteria
1. High Calorie, 2. Moderate fats, 3. High Protein, 4. High Fiber 5. High nutrition
- Do not drink water before meals. After meals, wait about 10 minutes before drinking water
- Eat whole-grain breads, and Brown Rice
- Eat starchy vegetables (Potatoes, Peas, Cauliflower, Pumpkin, Sweet potatoes)
- Eat dense ripe fruits (Bananas, Papaya, Avocado). Avocado has the highest amount of good fats among fruits.
- For snacks eat dried fruits and nuts (Raisins, Almonds, Pistachios, Walnuts, Cashews, Trail-mix)
- 30% of the calories should come from fats. Avoid Transfats. Eat saturated fats in moderation (regular milk, regular yogurt) Omega3 are good for you, the most bioavailable are found in marine foods (fatty fish). Plant omega3 are found in Walnuts, Pistachios and Flaxseeds.
Liquid intake is the most effective way to increase calorie intake. You must drink drink at least 8 cups of fluids every day. Do NOT waste this opportunity by drinking plain water. Make it a time to add calories.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages. Its High calorie with minimum nutrition
- Drink regular milk. NO low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Increase calories of a cup milk by adding 1 to 2 Tablespoons of: Instant dry milk, Carnation Instant breakfast powder, Nestle's Quick, or Ovaltine
- Drink Milk Shakes. Increase calories by adding: protein powder, ground nuts, nut-butters
- Drink Nut Milks (Cook ground almonds in milk with honey; Blend almond butter, milk and honey)
- Drink Nut Smoothie Blend Yogurt (with live culture), almond or peanut butter, and honey
- Drink Fruit Smoothies, Fruit Nectars
- Drink diet soda (Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi). Diet soda has no calories but it stimulates craving for high calorie foods
- Drink power energy or protein drinks made for body-builders.
- Make Indian Hot tea latte (Garam Masala Chai) with 50% water and 50% Heavy Whipping cream, Spices and Honey
- Do Not drink black coffee or tea. Add creamers and sweeteners to increase calories
Digestive System and Mal-Nutrition
Strengthen your digestive tract to absorb nutrients
- Eat at least 1 cup of yogurt with live culture every day.
- Eat at least one serving of either fresh raw fruit or vegetables every day. Raw plant foods contain enzymes to help with digestive tract.
- Take one multi-vitamin multi-mineral supplement daily with meals
- Take one Omega 3 supplement daily with meals
- Watch late night TV. Staying up late will increase your appetite for high calorie snacks and you will be able to eat more.
- Eat a snack before going to bed
- Do not sleep more than six hours at night.
- Eat late breakfast. After waking up, wait at least 2 hours before eating breakfast
- Do 20 minutes of resistance exercise to increase muscle mass. This is NOT to make you a body builder, but to add muscle mass to your body weight
- Do NOT do Aerobic or Cardio exercises. They use up a lot of calories. We want to add calories not use them up quickly.
|Google Group | Disclaimer | What do you think!|