What type of milk to use for making Dahi yogurt?
Dahi yogurt can be made from any type of dairy milk from No-Fat Dry-Milk to Fresh Whole Milk.
1. The liquid must have sufficient amount of proteins (Whey and Casein) to give it a body
2. The liquid should have enough lactose, so that starter culture can make the lactic acid.
3. The fats in the milk contribute only to creamy texture. No fat or low fat milks will lack creaminess.
4. For skim to low fat milks, add No Fat Dry Milk to increase the protein solids so that the resulting Dahi will have sufficient body to your liking. For one cup of 2% milk, I like to add two tablespoons of No Fat Dry Milk
5. Normally, one adds 4 Tablespoons of No Fat Dry Milk to one cup of water. To make Dahi yogurt, I will use 5 to 6 Tablespoons of No Fat Dry Milk to one cup of water.