What are popular foods of each state in India?
India is federal union of 28 states and 7 territories. Food of each state is influenced by the neighboring state, the geography, climate, and the culture.
I have grouped the 28 states into 5 major regions: North, Mid-India, South, Northeast, and East. I have created Mid-India by combining Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Gujarat, and Maharashtra
In addition, I have created two additional regions: Delhi, and 'Indian restaurants in UK'. Delhi has its own Muslim and Punjabi foods. The Indian restaurants in UK have their own brand of Indian British curries originated in UK.
It was a challenge to create this list. Every state has a large selection of foods, how to limit the selection. How to credit a state for a given food that originated in another state. Some selections were easy, the red-ant chutney was made famous by chef Ramsey. Many readers will not agree with the selections, but it is just one set of selections.
- Jammu Kashmir: Rogan Josh, Tabak Maaz, Gustaba, Dum Aloo, Haak Saag, Yakhni, Kahava (Green tea Latte)
- Punjab: Makki-Roti and Sarson-Saag, Rajma and Chawal, Cholay and Bhature, Amritsar Machhli, Makhani Dal, Kulcha, Sooji Halwa (Parsad), Lassi (whipped yogurt)
- Haryana: Kachri Subzi, Cholia, Chach (Matha, natural skimmed buttermilk), Bajra Khichri
- Rajasthan: Dal-Baati-Choorma, Ker-Sangari, Lal-Maas, Gatta, Piyaz Kachori, Ghewar, Kalakand. Bhang available at state stores. You might be able to find Ganja and even Afeem
- Himachal Pradesh: Sidu, Aktori and Dham, Apples
- Uttarkhand: Aloo Gutke, Kaapa, Jhangora kheer, Chainsoo
- Madhya Pradesh: Lapsi, Bafla, Bhutte Kheer, Bhopali Kebab
Chhattisgarh (Eastern part of Madhya Pradesh) is known for Bafauri, Kusli, and Red ant chutney made famous by chef Gordon Ramsey
- Gujarat: Thepla, Dhokla, Khandvi, Handvo, Panki, Dhansak, Ankoori, Nankhatai
- Maharashtra: Shrikhand. Thalipeeth, Vada Pao, Modak, Upma
- Goa: Vindaloo, Xacuti, Bibinca, Prawn Balchao
Vindaloo is oldest hottest dish made with red chilies in Indian food history
- Karnataka: Bisi Bele Bhaat, Kesari Bath, Mysore Pak, Dharwad Pedha, Chiroti
- Kerala: Sadya meal, Avial, Malabar Parotha, Payasam, Irachi Stew
- Andhra Pradesh: Hyderabadi Biryani, Mirchi salan, Ghongura pickle, Korikoora
Northern part of Tamil Naidu (Pondicherry) is known for Kadugu Yerra, Vendakkai Patchaddy
Idli is the oldest technically most sophisticated in Indian food history
- Bihar: Litti, Sattu, Khaja, Khubi ka Lai, Anarasa, Tilkut
- Jharkhand: Thekua, Pua, Pittha, Marua Roti
- Sikkim: Momos, Thukpa, Gundruk, Phagshapa and Sael Roti
- Arunachal Pradesh: Apong (Beer)
- Assam: Maasor Tenga, Pitha
Home of world's hottest Chili pepper 'Bhut'
- Nagaland: Momos, Rice beer, Cherry wine
- Manipur: Iromba, Kabok, Chakkouba
- West Bengal: Bhapa llish, Rasgulla, Mishti Doi, Machhli Jhoal
Rasgulla actually originated in Orissa.
Chaat, Paratha (Paranthe wali gali), Cholay and Bhature, Nihari, Seekh kebab, Haleem, Korma, Mutton Pulao, Moti-choor Laddoo, Kulfi and Falooda, Sohan Halwa
Makhni chicken and Tandoori Chicken originated at Daryaganj in Delhi
Indian Restaurants in UK
- Phall Curry, Hottest curry
- Tindaloo, Extremely hot curry based on Vindaloo
- Balti a cooking style
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Dhansak with Pineapple
- Rogan josh with tomatoes
- Do-Piyaz, modified version of Bhuna
- Jalfrezi, Anglo-Indian food originated in West Bengal
- Mulligatawny soup, Anglo-Indian food originated in South India
|Google Group | Disclaimer | What do you think!|