Besan Coconut Burfee, Burfi, Fudge Recipe
A fudge-like confection made of Besan Ghee Sugar and Milk. Dried coconut and watermelon seeds may be added.
I spent my childhood in a small village of Rajasthan, with NO refrigerators. So, many items were made to last a while at room temperature. This is one of those items and favorite of mine.
1. Besan (Chickpea flour): 1 Cup
2. Ghee (Clarified butter): 1 Cup
3. Dried desiccated Coconut: 1 Cup
4. Watermelon seeds: 1 teaspoon
5. Sugar: 1 Cup
6. Milk: 1Cup
1. Mix sugar and water. Heat till sugar is consumed. Set sugar water aside.
1. In a heavy bottom pan, mix Ghee and Besan.
2. Turn on heat to low. First the Besan with soak the Ghee in and then as the Besan starts to fry, the Besan will start getting lighter. Keep stirring till the Besan starts to change color to brown with nutty aroma. Do not let the Besan Burn to brown.
3. Stir in dry coconut. Fry for about 2 minutes. Add sugar water. Cook on low heat till the consistency of Halwa. Turn off heat.
4. Stir in water melon seeds.
5. Pour the mixture in a greased pan. Even the top with a spatula. Let it cool. At room temperature, put it in refrigerator. After 2 hours in refrigerator it can be cut into tradition diamond shapes.