Contributor: Réya Doucette, Canada
Region Style: Indonesian Fusion
This chutney is similar to Rajasthan Chutney made of dried red chili and fresh garlic. Please wear gloves when handling Habanera, do not touch your eyes. Habanera are really very hot.
You can double or quadruple the ingredients to make large batch. The Chutney will have shelf-life of 30 days kept at room temperature.
1. Fresh Habanera: 1 pound
If Habanera is too hot for you, try Serrano
2. Garlic: 1 Bulb
3. Onion : 1 Small
4. Brown sugar Packed: ¾ cup
5. Lime Juice: ¾ cup
6. Water: ½ cup
7. Sea salt: 1 teaspoon
1. Wash and cut Habanera in quarters. Peel and chop Garlic Cloves coarse. Peel and chop onion coarse
2. Put all ingredients in a heavy sauce pan. Bring it to a boil.
3. Turn down heat cook on low heat for about 20 minutes. The Habanera wil get soft.
4. Turn off heat. Let it cool for about 45 minutes.
5. Process in food processor at continuous operation for three minutes to make a very smooth paste.
6. Transfer the contents to a glass jar with a tight lid. Store in referigerator.