|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Shalgam Achar Achaar (Turnip Pickle) Recipe
The turnips are not blanched. Instead salt cured and lightly fried. Contains Mustard oil vinegar raisins apricots and spices.
You can add ½ cup of total dried fruits. I have added raisins and apricots. You can add any dried fruits of your choice including Dates and Plums. If you want something different, just use ½ cup of chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1. Turnips: 2 Pounds
2. Pickling Salt: 6 Tablespoon
1. Mustard oil: ¾ cup
2. Nigella seeds (Kalonji): 2 teaspoons
3. Crushed Hot Red Pepper flakes: 1½ Tablespoon
4. Cracked Black Peppercorn: 1 Tablespoon
5. Cumin Seeds Cracked: 2 teaspoons
6. Ajwain (Carom seeds): 2 teaspoons
7. Cracked Black Mustard seeds: 1 Tablespoon
8. Cracked Fennel Seeds : 1½ Tablespoon
9. Garlic Cloves: 20 Peeled and sliced thin
10. Vinegar (5% Acid): ¾ cup
11. Jaggery grated and packed: 1 Cup and 2 Tablespoons
12. Seedless Raisins Chopped: ¼ cup
13. Dried Apricots Chopped: ¼ cup
1. Peel Turnips and slice them about ¼" thick
2. Add Salt to Turnip in a glass bowl. Cover the mixture and let it stand overnight in the refrigerator
3. Heat oil to smoking point. Turn down heat
4. Add Turnips with salt. Fry till all the moisture is gone and Turnips start to turn brown.
5. Add all the ingredients except Raisins and apricots. Bring it to a near boil185º F. Simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Add Raisin and Apricots. Simmer for 3 minutes
7. Shut off heat. Let it cool to Room temperature
Transfer the pickle to wide-mouth Pickling Crock (stoneware). Tie cheese cloth to the wide-mouth. Repeat following step for next 6 days, once a day.
1. Remove the cheese cloth. Stir the pickle.
2. Preheat oven to lowest setting about 200º F for 25 minutes
3. Place the crock in the oven for 45 minutes. Keep the door ajar about 2 to 3 inches.
4. Shut off oven. Remove the crock after 30 minutes. Secure the cheese cloth to the wide-mouth.
5. Place the crock on the top shelf of your kitchen cupboard.
Remove the Muslin cloth. Close the crocks with sterilized well fitted lid.
Put the crock away in a cool dry and dark place.
This pickle should be good for six moths
|HOME | About-us | Disclaimer | Contact-us|