|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Ingredients Guide for Punjabi Pickles
Ingredients (spices sugar salt oil vinegar etcetera) are different from pickle to pickle. Every pickle has a subset of a master set of ingredients
A master set based on most common ingredients with corresponding amounts are tabulated. Users may tailor the amounts for given exemplar according to personal taste.
This Table is formulated for 2 Pounds of exemplar (Item to be pickled).
Fresh green chili peppers, garlic cloves and ginger are not blanched. They are just packed is as adjunct
Liquids (Oil Vinegar Lime Juice Sugar)
1. 1½ cup of total liquid is needed to top pickle. The liquid consists of Lime juice, Vinegar, Oil
2. For low acid vegetable you need ½ Cup of vinegar (5% acetic acid). I use ¾ Cup. Homemade vinegars (Sugar-cane vinegar, Coconut Vinegar) may have up to 18% Acetic acid
3. For each Tablespoon of vinegar, you may add 1½ Tablespoon of packed sugar to cut the sour taste
4. For low acid vegetable you need ½ Cup of Lime Juice (5% citric acid). I use ¾ Cup
Salts and sugars
1. In United States, use pickling or canning salt. It has no additives that may discolor the pickle
2. Jaggery should be grated and then packed measured and added. Grating Jaggery makes it easy to dissolve
3. Add either Jaggery or Brown sugar as needed.
1. Anise and Fennel seed. You should add either Anise or Fennel seed. Fennel seed go well with Mustard oil. Anise go well with Cinnamon.
2. Cumin seed and Shahi Jeera (Black Cumin Seeds). You should add either Cumin or Black cumin seed
3. Combination of Crushed Red pepper flakes and ground pepper are used. Flakes add to eye appeal. Total amount remain 1½ Tablespoon
4. Combination of cracked and whole spices add to eyes appeal. Black peppercorn, Cinnamon and Cloves
5. For best flavors
Green Cardamoms preferred over Black Cardamoms
Cassia bark preferred over Cinnamon Stick
Anise preferred over Fennel
Black cumin preferred over Cumin
For Black Peppercorn, use Tellicherry pepper
Sabut Garam Masala
Sabut in Hindi means whole. In reality, it is a blend of cracked spices (Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves, Nutmeg, and Black peppercorn). The actual formulation varies from application to application
Natural preservative Spices and herbs
Use whole spices, or Cracked (coarse-ground) spices.
Strong Antimicrobial: Asafoetida, Cinnamon, Cloves, Nutmeg, Mace, Mustard, Fresh-Garlic, Fresh-Onions
Medium Antimicrobial: Bay leaf, Coriander, Cumin, Ajwain, Shahi Jeera, Fennel, Anise, Sumac, Amchoor, Pomegranate
Weak Antimicrobial: Black Pepper, Pippali, Chili pepper (Dried and fresh), Fresh Ginger
Flavoring: Fenugreek seeds, Black Cardamoms, Green Cardamoms, Mulathi
|HOME | About-us | Disclaimer | Contact-us|