|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Piyaz Lahsun Adrak Achar Achaar (Onion Garlic Ginger Pickle) Recipe
Simple Punjabi pickle of Onions Garlic cloves and Ginger n Mustard oil lime juice Vinegar
It has few spices. The limes are used only to extract fresh lime juice.
1. White distilled vinegar (5% acid): 3 Tablespoon
2. Limes: 10
3. Cracked Black Mustard seeds: ¼ cup
4. Ground Cayenne: 2 teaspoon
5. Sugar: 2½ Tablespoons
6. Sea salt: 2 teaspoons
7. Serrano: 15
Cut into half lengthwise
8. Garlic Cloves peeled: 30
9. Ginger cut into thin match-sticks: 2"x1"
10. Onions sliced: 2 pounds
11. Mustard oil: ½ cup
1. Cut lime in half crosswise. Squeeze juice as much as possible. Discard rind skin and seeds. We just need the lime juice.
2. Mix the lime juice will al ingredients except garlic ginger Serrano opinions and mustard oil
3. Bring it to a boil.
4. Add vegetable. Turn down heat to 180º F. Simmer for 5 minutes
Vegetative bacteria, yeast and molds must be destroyed by heating to 180º F
5. In a separate pan heat mustard oil to smoking point. Turn off heat. Let it cool to room. Add to pickle mixture.
Acid prevents the growth of spores of deadly botulism bacteria.
Acidify pickle mixture before adding oil. Oil will coat the exemplar creating a barrier to acid and oxygen making it vulnerable to botulism bacteria.
Transfer the pickle to wide-mouth Pickling Crock (stoneware). Tie cheese cloth to the wide-mouth. Repeat following step for next 3 days, once a day.
1. Remove the cheese cloth. Stir the pickle.
2. Preheat oven to lowest setting about 200º F for 25 minutes
3. Place the crock in the oven for 45 minutes. Keep the door ajar about 2 to 3 inches.
4. Shut off oven. Remove the crock after 30 minutes. Secure the cheese cloth to the wide-mouth.
5. Place the crock on the top shelf of your kitchen cupboard.
Remove the Muslin cloth. Close the crocks with sterilized well fitted lid.
Put the crock away in a cool dry and dark place.
This pickle should be good for six months.
|HOME | About-us | Disclaimer | Contact-us|