|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Lotus-stem (Kamal Kakri) Chickpeas (Cholay) Cranberry (Karonda) Pickle Achaar Achar Recipe
This is a variation of Punjabi Pachranga pickle famous in Ludhiana
Pachranga is a combination pickle of mangoes, chickpeas. lotus stem, Karonda, and Amla. I will use canned lotus stem available in Vietnamese, Chinese and Indian stores
I will substitute Karonda (Natal Plum) with Cranberries. We will do without mangoes and Amla for lack of availability in USA.
1. Presoaked Chickpeas: 1½ cup
¾ cup of dried chickpeas will result in approximately 1½ Cups of presoaked beans after 12 hours
2. Canned Lotus stem: 1½ cups
3. Cranberries: 1 cup
1. Fresh Lime juice: ¾ cup
Juice of about 6 fresh limes
2. Fenugreek seeds: 1½ teaspoon
3. Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
4. Cracked Black Peppercorn: 1 Tablespoon
5. Nigella seeds (Kalonji): 2 teaspoons
6. Cracked Black Mustard seeds: 1 Tablespoon
7. Crushed Hot Red Pepper flakes: 1½ Tablespoon
8. Ajwain (Carom seeds): ½ teaspoon
9. Fennel : 1½ Tablespoon
Coarse Ground to the consistency of spent coffee grounds
10. Sea salt: 2 Tablespoon
11. Garlic: 10 Cloves peeled
12. Ginger: 3" peeled cut into matchsticks
13. Mustard oil: ¾ cup
Step 1 Prepare Vegetables
1. Rinse and drain pre-soaked chickpeas. Pat dry
2. Rinse and drain Lotus stem. If the stem are not cut, dice them thin. Pat dry
3. In a large pan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add cranberries. Cover bring to a boil, it will start to boil in one minute. Scald in boiling water for one minute. Immediately turn off heat and transfer to colander. Turn on cold water tap on cranberries to cool them off. Turn off water. Let it drain. Use paper towel to dry cranberries
If over-cooked the outer skin will expand popping the fruit and eventually making it mushy. We want to turn off heat as soon as the cranberries may start to pop
Step 2 Dry Vegetables
1. Preheat oven to lowest setting about 200º F for 25 minutes
2. Spread the vegetables in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
3. Put the cookie sheet in the oven. Do NOT close the door, leave the door ajar about 2 to 3 inches.
4. After 45 minutes Turn off oven. Do Not remove the tray
5. Remove the tray after one hour
Step 3 Prepare Masala Preserve
1. Combine all ingredients except mustard oil, Bring it to a boil.
2. Add Vegetables. Heat it to 180º F and simmer for 5 minutes . Shut off heat.
Vegetative bacteria, yeast and molds must be destroyed by heating to 180º F
3. Let it cool to room temperature
4. Heat Mustard oil to smoking point. Turn off heat. Let it cool to room temperature. Add to Pickle mixture
Acid prevents the growth of spores of deadly botulism bacteria.
Acidify pickle mixture before adding oil. Oil will coat the exemplar creating a barrier to acid and oxygen making it vulnerable to botulism bacteria.
Step 4 Aging
Transfer the pickle to wide-mouth Pickling Crock (stoneware). Tie cheese cloth to the wide-mouth. Repeat following step for next 3 days, once a day.
1. Remove the cheese cloth. Stir the pickle.
2. Preheat oven to lowest setting about 200º F for 25 minutes
3. Place the crock in the oven for 45 minutes. Keep the door ajar about 2 to 3 inches.
4. Shut off oven. Remove the crock after 30 minutes. Secure the cheese cloth to the wide-mouth.
5. Place the crock on the top shelf of your kitchen cupboard.
Step 5 Storage
Remove the Muslin cloth. Close the crocks with sterilized well fitted lid.
Put the crock away in a cool dry and dark place.
This pickle should be good for six moths to one year.
|HOME | About-us | Disclaimer | Contact-us|