|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Nimbu Adrak Mirch Achaar Achar (Lime Ginger Serrano Pickle) Recipe
Punjabi lime ginger Serrano pickle in basic spices without oil or vinegar
Time spent in hot sun follows
Drying: 4 Hours, Salt Cure: 6 days, Aging: 3 weeks
1. Fresh green limes: 1½ pound
2. Fresh ginger root: ½ pound
3. Fresh Serrano: ½ pound
4. Sea-salt: 5 Tablespoons
5. Kala Namak: 1 Tablespoons
6. Asafoetida (Hing) powder: ½ teaspoon
7. Ground Ajwain (Carom seeds): 1 Tablespoon
8. Black Mustard seeds cracked: 1 Tablespoon
9. Jaggery grated and packed, or Brown sugar packed: ¾ cup
Prepare Produce and dry
1. Wash limes in plenty of water. Pat dry with paper towel.
2. Quarter limes. Cut each lime in half crosswise. Cut each half into two.
3. Peel Ginger. Cut into long thin strips resembling small wooden match-sticks
4. Wash Serrano. Pat dry with paper towel.
5. Remove and discard stems of Serrano. Split each pepper in to two halves vertically.
6. Scatter produce in a glass baking tray in a single tier
We will dry out using an oven.
1. Preheat oven to lowest setting about 200º F for 25 minutes
2. Spread the vegetables in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
3. Put the cookie sheet in the oven. Do NOT close the door, leave the door ajar about 2 to 3 inches.
4. After 45 minutes Turn off oven. Do Not remove the tray
5. Remove the tray after one hour after the heat was turned off.
Transfer the pickle to wide-mouth Pickling Crock (stoneware). Tie cheese cloth to the wide-mouth. Repeat following step for next 3 weeks, once a day.
1. Remove the cheese cloth. Stir the pickle.
2. Preheat oven to lowest setting about 200º F for 25 minutes
3. Place the crock in the oven for 45 minutes. Keep the door ajar about 2 to 3 inches.
4. Shut off oven. Remove the crock after 30 minutes. Secure the cheese cloth to the wide-mouth.
5. Place the crock on the top shelf of your kitchen cupboard.
Step 5 Storage
Remove the Muslin cloth. Close the crocks with sterilized well fitted lid.
Put the crock away in a cool dry and dark place.
This pickle should be good for five years.
|HOME | About-us | Disclaimer | Contact-us|