|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Lahsun Achaar Achar (Garlic Pickle) Recipe
Whole garlic cloves are pickled in lime juice, mustard oil and few spices
This is very similar to Lahsun Chatni used in Rajasthan. Lahsun Chatni
The limes are basically used to extract juice, six limes would yield six fluid ounce of juice. I have used Serrano in place of Hari Mirch.
1. Fresh limes: 10
2. Fenugreek seed: 1 teaspoon
3. Garlic Cloves peeled: 2 Cups
4. Fresh Serrano: 8
Split in half vertically
5. Sea Salt: 1 Tablespoon
6. Crushed hot red pepper flaked: 1 Tablespoon
7. Cracked Black Mustard seeds: 2 teaspoons
8. Asafoetida: ½ teaspoon
9. Mustard oil: ¼ cup
1. Cut limes in half. Squeeze out as much lime juice as possible. Discard Lime skin and seeds.
2. Add all ingredients except mustard oil.
3. Bring it to a boil. Turn off heat. Let it cool to room temperature
4. Heat Mustard oil to smoking point in a separate pan. Turn off heat to let oil cool
5. Add oil to the pickle mixture
Acid prevents the growth of spores of deadly botulism bacteria.
Acidify pickle mixture before adding oil. Oil will coat the exemplar creating a barrier to acid and oxygen making it vulnerable to botulism bacteria.
Transfer the pickle to wide-mouth Pickling Crock (stoneware). Tie cheese cloth to the wide-mouth. Repeat following step for next 3 days, once a day.
1. Remove the cheese cloth. Stir the pickle.
2. Preheat oven to lowest setting about 200º F for 25 minutes
3. Place the crock in the oven for 45 minutes. Keep the door ajar about 2 to 3 inches.
4. Shut off oven. Remove the crock after 30 minutes. Secure the cheese cloth to the wide-mouth.
5. Place the crock on the top shelf of your kitchen cupboard.
Remove the Muslin cloth. Close the crocks with sterilized well fitted lid.
Put the crock away in a cool dry and dark place.
The pickle may be stored in a dry cool place at room temperature for 30 days, or in refrigerator for six months
|HOME | About-us | Disclaimer | Contact-us|