|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Carrot Cauliflower Turnip (Gaajar Gobhi Shalgam) Pickle Achaar Achar Recipe
Popular Punjabi vegetable pickle in vinegar and oil made easy with baby carrots, and cauliflower florets pre-prepared in the stores
Normally, you will use Peanut oil. I am using Canola oil.
Kitchen Tested By: Réya Doucette, Canada
1. Cauliflower Baby Carrots Turnip: 2 Pounds
Baby carrots scraped and split in half
Cauliflower Florets (1" across) split in half to make it ½" across
Turnip peeled cubed ½" thick
2. Garlic: 10 Cloves peeled
3. Ginger: 3" peeled cut into matchsticks
1. White distilled vinegar 5% Acid: ¾ cup
2. Fenugreek seeds: 1½ teaspoon
3. Turmeric powder: 1½ teaspoon
4. Cracked Black Peppercorn: 1 Tablespoon
5. Nigella seeds (Kalonji): 2 teaspoons
6. Cracked Black Mustard seeds: 1 Tablespoon
7. Ground hot Cayenne powder (Lal Mirch): 1½ Tablespoon
8. Aniseed : 1½ Tablespoon
Coarse Ground to the consistency of spent coffee grounds
9. Sea salt: 1½ Tablespoon
10. Brown Sugar Packed: 1 cup and 2 Tablespoons
11. Canola oil: ¾ cup
Step 1 Blanch Vegetables
We will blanch cauliflower, carrots and turnip only. I have chosen the cuts that would blanch within 2 minutes
Garlic and Ginger are not blanched. They are exposed to high heat as a part of making preserve Masala.
1. Bring 2 Gallons of water to a rolling boil, you need one gallon of water per pound of vegetable to be blanched
2. Do NOT turn the heat down. Add vegetables. Cover. Wait for it to come to a boil. It should come to a boil within one minute. Remove cover. Scald vegetables in boiling water for 2 minutes
3. Turn off heat. Drain in colander.
4. Turn on cold water tap on the vegetables in the colander for two to 3 minutes. You want the vegetables to stop cooking.
5. Pat dry vegetables with paper towel to remove as much moisture as possible.
Step 2 Dry Vegetables
We will dry out using an oven.
1. Preheat oven to lowest setting about 200º F for 25 minutes
2. Spread the vegetables in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
3. Put the cookie sheet in the oven. Do NOT close the door, leave the door ajar about 2 to 3 inches.
4. After 45 minutes Turn off oven. Do Not remove the tray
5. Remove the tray after one hour after the heat was turned off.
Step 3 Prepare Masala Preserve
1. Mix all spices and vinegar except oil.
2. Bring it to a boil. Turn down heat.
3. Add Garlic Ginger, and vegetables. Heat till temperature reaches 180º F. Simmer at this temperature for 5 minutes. Let it cool to room temperature.
Vegetative bacteria, yeast and molds must be destroyed by heating to 180º F
4. Add oil.
Acid prevents the growth of spores of deadly botulism bacteria.
Acidify pickle mixture before adding oil. Oil will coat the exemplar creating a barrier to acid and oxygen making it vulnerable to botulism bacteria.
Step 4 Aging
Transfer the pickle to wide-mouth Pickling Crock (stoneware). Tie cheese cloth to the wide-mouth. Repeat following step for next 4 days, once a day.
1. Remove the cheese cloth. Stir the pickle.
2. Preheat oven to lowest setting about 200º F for 25 minutes
3. Place the crock in the oven for 45 minutes. Keep the door ajar about 2 to 3 inches.
4. Shut off oven. Remove the crock after 30 minutes. Secure the cheese cloth to the wide-mouth.
5. Place the crock on the top shelf of your kitchen cupboard.
Step 5 Storage
Remove the Muslin cloth. Close the crocks with sterilized well fitted lid.
Put the crock away in a cool dry and dark place.
This pickle should be good for six months.
|HOME | About-us | Disclaimer | Contact-us|