|Beverage | Bread | Chicken | Chutney | Dairy | Dessert | Lamb | Legume | Nuts | Rice | Seafood | Snack | Spices | Vegetable|
Murgh Shorba Traditional Recipe
Indian style chicken broth made from scratch made with aromatic spices
This recipe is a little bit involved consisting of four distinct processes. First we prepare chicken: clean discard internal organs, separate flesh and bones. Secondly we prepare Spice Potli. Then we make the Stock from the bones. Longer we cook the stock, better the flavor. Lastly we make soup with chicken flesh, spices and Shorba.
You can save a lot of time by using commercial chicken stock. Easy Murgh Shorba Recipe
1. One whole Chicken
1. Cheese cloth: 1
2. Cotton string 18"
3. Fennel seed: 2 Tablespoon
4. Cinnamon stick 3"x¼" Broken in half: 1
5. Cloves: 8
6. Black Cardamom cracked open:6
7. Black Peppercorn: 10
8. Bay leaf: 2
9. Cumin Seeds: 1 teaspoon
10. Coriander seed: 2 teaspoons
1. Ghee#1: 3 Tablespoon
2. Water: 4 cups
1. Ghee#2: 3 Tablespoons
2. Finely chopped onions: ¾ cup
3. Minced garlic: 1 Tablespoon
4. Finely chopped Ginger: 1"x1"
5. Turmeric powder: ¼ teaspoon (optional, needed only if feet were not used)
6. Salt: ¼ teaspoon or to taste
7. Ground Cayenne pepper: ¼ teaspoon or to taste
8. Kasoori Patta (Dried Fenugreek leaf): ½ teaspoon
9. Besan: 2 Tablespoon (optional)
1. Remove and discard internal organs such as liver and heart. You may keep neck. Normally, skin is discarded in Indian cooking. Remove the skin from the flesh and use it in making broth. Skin and neck have a lot of connective tissue to get gelatin. I will discard the skin and neck along with bones after Shorba has been cooked and strained.
2. With a sharp knife, separate flesh, feet, and bones. Do not discard feet. Feet will render natural golden color, flavor, and gelatin. Cut off and discard the claw tips, it allows for the marrow to come out easier. Set aside.
3. Cut flesh in to 1" pieces. Set aside.
4. Hack bones with a cleaver in to 1" to 2" long pieces.
Prepare Spice Potli
1. Fold a cheese cloth in to half. Fold it into half again making a 6"x 6" surface
2. Put spices in the center. Gather edges and tie a string.
1. Heat Ghee#1 in a heavy bottom pan.
2. Fry bones for about 10 minutes.
3. Combine water, bones, skin, feet, and spice Potli in a Stock pot. Bring water to a boil. Turn down heat. Cover and Simmer on medium heat for about 2 hours. Turn off heat. Remove and discard Spice Potli. Strain and remove bones skin and feet fragments. Now, you have Shorba. Set Shorba aside.
To reduce time, you may use pressure cooker to make Shorba for about 30 minutes at 15 psi.
1. Heat Ghee#2 in a pan.
2. Add chicken flesh. Fry till chicken pieces start to turn white. About 5 minutes. Remove browned chicken pieces with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Add onions and sauté till brown about 4 minutes.
4. Add Garlic and Ginger. Sauté about 90 seconds.
5. Add Turmeric, Salt, Ground Cayenne, and Kasoori Patta. Fry one minute
6. Add browned chicken flesh. Sauté about two minutes
7. Sprinkle Besan. Sauté about 30 seconds
8. Add chicken Shorba. Bring it to a boil. Turn down heat. Cover, Cook about 20 minutes till chicken is tender.
If the Shorba or soup is stored in the refrigerator over night, the top will have a solid layer of fat. Underneath the fat, it will be semi-solid Jell-O due to gelatin. When reheated, the gelatin will melt and return to liquid state. If you want, you can lift off the solid fat with a spoon and discard it before reheating.
|HOME | About-us | Disclaimer | Contact-us|