Karahi Chicken Recipe
Karahi Chicken is dry stir-fried chicken in an Indian iron wok called Karahi.
This recipe uses Skinless boneless Chicken breast cut into long strips. Instead, you may use chicken thighs. Do not mix different parts of chicken as their cooking profile is different. You want all the pieces belonging to same part so they cook at the same time.
1. Canola or Olive oil: 2 Tablespoon
2. Cumin Seeds: ½ teaspoon
3. Mustard seeds: ½ teaspoon
4. Fajita style cut Onions: 1 Cup
5. Minced Garlic: 1 Tablespoon
6. Chopped Ginger: 1"x1"
7. Turmeric powder: ¼ teaspoon
8. Cumin Powder: 1 teaspoon
9. Coriander Powder: 1 teaspoon
10. Fenugreek Powder: ¼ teaspoon
11. Nutmeg powder: ¼ teaspoon
12. Ground Cardamom: ¼ teaspoon
13. Chicken breast Strips (¼" thick, ½" wide): 1 Pound
14. Fajita style cut Bell Pepper: ½ Cup
15. One Tomato cut into 6 wedges
16. Water: ¼ Cup
19. Chopped Cilantro: ¼ cup
Step 1: In a pan, heat oil. Add cumin seed as they roast to slightly brown, add mustard seed as they will start to crack.
Step 2: Add onions, sauté till clear. Add garlic and ginger, Continue sauté for a couple of minutes.
Step 3: Add ingredients 7 through 15. Stir fry till chicken is white and firm. Don't let the spices burn. If needed add a table spoon of water. Add water, salt, cayenne pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Simmer covered 10 minutes. Remove lid. Stir-fry to almost a dry coated chicken.
Garnish with chopped cilantro.