Naan Bread Machine Recipe
The traditional Naan recipe has been modified to use bread-machine. The bread-machine use is limited to making dough for Naan.
To make dough in bread machine as opposed to manual kneading, you need more moisture (about ¼ cup of more liquid for each
pound of flour). Leavening efficiency may be increased by doubling dry-yeast and sugar, and adding baking
For one pound flour, you should set bread machine to make 2 pound bread loaf. During dough cycle, check for
stickiness of dough. If the dough his too dry, add 2 Tablespoon of water at a time. If the dough is too
sticky, add more flour.
1. Active Dry Yeast: 2 teaspoons
2. White Table Sugar: 2 teaspoons
3. Warm Water or warm skim milk at 100º F to 110º F: ½ Cup + 2 Tablespoons
4. Dahi (Yogurt): ½ Cup + 2 Tablespoons
5. Egg Beaten : 1
6. Melted Ghee: 2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons
7. Un-bleached All-purpose flour: 2 Cups (8½ oz by weight)
8. White Whole Wheat Flour: 1½ Cup (7½ oz by weight)
9. Salt: 1 teaspoon
10. Baking powder: 1 teaspoon
1. Melted Ghee for basting: ¼ Cup
2. Nigella seeds: 2 Tablespoons
Four for dusting and rolling
1. Add sugar and yeast to warm milk. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes minutes.
2. Add yogurt, ghee, and egg. Transfer to bread machine
3. Sift flours, salt and baking powder together. Transfer to bread machine. Start and set to 'dough'
cycle for 2 pound loaf. It may take up to 90 minutes to make the dough.
4. Remove the dough from the bread machine. Divide it into six portions. Roll each portion to form a ball. Keep the dough balls covered to prevent from drying.
These dough balls can be frozen for later use.
1. Place a pizza-stone on the top rack of the oven. Pre-heat oven to 500 ºF.
2. Naan is not rolled out with rolling pin. Instead, it is patted and stretched by hand to triangular shape,
resembling a slice of 16" pizza. The thickness of Naan is about 3 Nickels (5¢ coins).
3. Sprinkle some Nigella seeds. Press down with hand.
4. Put the Naan on the pizza stone. Bake for 90 seconds, it should start to puff up.
5. Turn oven to 'broil'. Bake one minute. The top surface should start getting brown
6. Remove Naan from the oven. Baste with Ghee. Turn Oven to Bake mode.
7. Repeat steps 2 through 6 till all the Naan have been baked.