Spice mix (Chooran Churan) for balancing Vata Recipe
Spice mix formulated to balance aggravated Vata. Balancing Vata may be useful to gain
1. Balancing Taste (Sweet Sour Salty) spices should be more than Aggravating Taste (Bitter Pungent and
2. Salt and Sugar both draw moisture from atmosphere. The mixture will turn clumpy or soggy. Therefore, the
mixture should be stored in a air-tight jar.
3. Traditionally, one would use Mulathi (Liquorice) in India as a base. Mulathi is not readily available in
United States. Fennel seeds are substituted.
1. Fennel seeds (Sweet Pungent) ground: 2 teaspoon
2. Dried ginger powder (Sweet Pungent): 1½ teaspoon
3. Cardamom seed ground (Sweet Pungent): 1 teaspoon
4. Cinnamon powder (Sweet Pungent Bitter): 1 teaspoon
5. Black pepper ground (Pungent): ½ teaspoon
6. Cumin seed ground (Pungent): ½ teaspoon
7. Turmeric Powder (Pungent Bitter Astringent): 1 teaspoon
8. Ground Fenugreek seeds (Bitter Astringent): 1 teaspoon
9. Kala Namak (Salty): 1 teaspoon
10. Amchoor Ground dried sour mango powder (Sweet Sour): 1½ teaspoon
11. Pure Cane sugar (Florida Crystals): 1 teaspoon
1. Mix all the ingredients well. I put all the spices in the food processor and process it for
about 5 second. The result is well mixed powder
2. Transfer the mixture to an air-tight jag.